The Best Metal Roofing Expert Serving McKinney & Dallas/Fort Worth
Metal roofs have many distinct advantages over other roofing materials. They are durable, easy to install, lightweight, fireproof and available in any number of design patterns.
Types of Metal Roofs
There are many types of materials used for metal roofs today, including copper, steal, granule and aluminum. However, there are three main types of roofs, and each has its own installation method and design pattern.
- Corrugated Metal Roof: This uses flat panels of corrugated metal. Although this is not a system that traditionally appears in residential areas, technology has led to the production of panels that have greater curb appeal and are suited to urban living. Historically, the panels are made of galvanized steel, but other metals are coming into favor.
- Standing seam panel: This uses flat sheets of metal (copper, aluminum, stainless steel) joined with raised seams. The joints are locked together, and the edges are folded back over, creating a watertight seal. The metal comes in rolled form and cut to the measurements of the roof. This is one of the oldest roofing systems in use, and its installation requires the skills of professional roofing companies.
- Metal shingles: These are shingles designed to replicate the look of shingles made from other materials. They can look like composition, wood, cedar, slate or ceramic shingles. They also can paint the shingles to suit your design preferences.
Metal Roof Installation Over Shingles
If your home, like many others in the region, has shingles previously installed, you may feel like you’re out of luck. That’s not the case, though. At Paradigm Roofing, we’re experts in roofing installation. As such, we’re fully equipped and capable of installing new metal roofing over existing shingles. Doing so avoids tearing off the old roofing material, which means you’ll save money and time.
Most residential codes allow for no more than two layers of roofing before a complete tear-off is required. If your shingles are the first and only line of defense from the elements, you may benefit from a metal roof being installed over the top. A steel roof is a lifetime investment — we’re talking 50 years or more about life expectancy. Furthermore, there are numerous colors and styles to consider. You can mix and match your new metal roof with the décor of your home or the architecture. It’s up to you, really!
Metal Roofing for Mobile Homes
When a mobile home’s roof begins to falter, there are two choices: a total replacement or a roof over. Most choose a roof over, as it’s a more cost-effective solution. For many, saving money and time is paramount. Everyone is living on a budget these days. We fully understand this notion, as we are, too.
Typically, a mobile home roof over requires a new roof or material being placed over the existing roof. In this case, we’re talking about long-lasting metal roofing. Metal roofing can completely change the appearance of your mobile home. Metal comes in a variety of colors, materials, and styles. It will be like having a brand-new roof. Some roofs are even pitched, which makes them higher. Flat roofs on mobile homes are not quite as popular as they once were. Maintenance is more of a burden. More mobile home owners are opting for pitched roofs, which work well with metal roofing materials.
Advantages to metal roofs
- Longevity: A properly installed metal roof can last for years. Maintenance is low, and the roof system simply requires keeping debris off the surface.
- Weight: Metal roofing materials are significantly lighter than other roofing materials. Because of this, in many cases, they can be laid over an existing roof without having to go through the process of removing and disposing of the old roof. If the decking is in good condition, there will be no other need to install the roof system.
- Fireproof: There are no worries here, as the metal roof system is the safest of all roof systems from a fire-resistant standpoint.
- Recyclable: Metal roofs are completely recyclable. The old roofing material can be used repeatedly in different applications.
Metal Roofs Durability
A metal roof is one of the most durable materials available to residential homes. Some metal roofs are capable of withstanding extreme wind gusts of almost 140 miles per hour. The metal material does not corrode or crack over time or due to the weather. Some metal roofs are even impact-resistant, which is perfect for those residential homes that tend to receive hailstorms, live underneath a lot of tree cover, or experience harsh weather conditions. This is not what you would expect from metal materials.
In addition, metal roofing generally does not need costly maintenance throughout the year, unlike other roofing materials. You should still inspect the roof every so often, though, to ensure repairs are not needed. Over time, you may require slight repairs, which is not a problem for a professional roofing technician to handle. When it comes to durability, nothing beats a metal roof over your head these days.
If you are building a new home or looking to replace and old roof, consider a metal roof system. It has a unique look, is durable and cost-effective. Contact our Dallas roofing company at 972-542-7774 for more information.