All You Need to Know About Standing Seam Metal Roofing
Standing seam metal roofing is becoming immensely popular throughout the region. It offers superior weather-resistance, provides a modern aesthetic, and has an extended lifespan when compared to other roofing materials. And yet, too few homeowners or local businesses are choosing standing seam over shingles or flat roofing. Why not choose a maintenance-free, durable roofing solution?
What is Standing Seam Metal Roofing?
Standing seam metal roofing is a metal panel system for modern roofs that utilizes a concealed fastener system for a sleek, stalwart design. Typically, standing seam includes vertical legs and a flat area. Often described as having raised seams, which rise above the flat area, the system is quite durable and can withstand wind and rain with relative ease.
Types of Standing Seam Metal Roofing
There are a variety of choices when it comes to standing seam metal roofing. These choices are so much more than aesthetic. Of course, you can select your color, length, width, shape, and thickness, but there are also panel profiles, depending on your roof style, including:
- Snap-Lock – Carefully roll-formed metal panels with shaped edges that do not require hand or mechanical seaming during the installation process.
- Mechanical Lock – Mechanically-seamed panels are roll-formed with unique edges that line up together.
- Batten Panel – Batten panels feature two legs roll-formed and butted up beside each other for increased durability.
- Nail/Fastener Flange – Similar to a snap-lock system, nail flange (or fastener flange) uses a clip to attach each panel to the roof deck.
Advantages of Standing Seam Metal Roofing
There are numerous advantages to installing a standing seam metal roof, including:
- Lifespan – Metal roofing enjoys an extended lifespan when compared to other materials, such as wood panel or asphalt shingles.
- Durability – Standing seam metal roofing requires less maintenance, if any at all, and can withstand debris and weather.
- Appearance – Standing seam offers sleek, straight lines that come in just about any color you can imagine.